As you awaken, do you feel your stress level beginning to mount as you think of what you have to accomplish throughout the day? You’re not alone. The mounting pressure of multiple daily responsibilities is driving the stress level of women to an all-time high.
It’s not uncommon for women to juggle child care, work, household responsibilities, and the care of elderly parents into the mix. To top this off, societal pressures convince women that they have to look fabulous when they are doing all of this. No wonder women are feeling so stressed!
THE TYPE E WOMAN EVERYTHING TO EVERYONE
Harriet B. Braiker, psychologist, and an expert on stress management predicted this trend back in 1986 with her breakthrough book, “The Type E Woman: Everything to Everyone.” She informed women if they didn’t stop trying to be everything to everyone this mindset would have a negative impact on their mental and physical well-being.
THE DO IT ALL GENERATION
Unfortunately, it appears that women did not heed her warning. Some thirty years later, Dr Judith Mohring, a leading psychiatrist on women’s issues cites the rise in stress among women is due to the “DO IT All” generation of women. These women are diagnosed as having “The Super Woman Syndrome” by many prominent psychiatrists and psychologists.
These terms are different but carry the same message; women cannot do everything! Attempting to be this woman who can do everything will eventually cause serious if not fatal health problems and emotional issues.
STRESS CAN HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON WOMEN’S HEART HEALTH
It is thought that stress at work may begin to cause adverse effects on your heart health if you’re a woman. Dr. Michelle A. Albert, of Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, conducted a study of women in the workforce. He discovered that women who have high-stress jobs are 67 percent more likely to have a heart attack and 38 percent more likely to have any kind of cardiovascular event than women who have more low-stress jobs.
TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LIFE BY LEARNING THESE 8 PROVEN STRESSBUSTERS
1. Change Your Attitude – Realize that you can’t be a “Super Woman”. She is a mythical creature that doesn’t exist.
2. Say No- Start saying no to some requests and say yes to what makes you happy.
3. Learn How to Delegate- Determine what tasks you can delegate and don’t replace with them with other tasks.
4. Recharge Your Battery- Do one pleasant thing a day for yourself.
5. Take Breaks- Studies have shown we are more productive when we take breaks.
6. Meditation- It brings the brainwave pattern into a relaxed state that promotes healing both physically and mentally. Studies have shown just 10 to 15 minutes per day will enable you to reap the benefits.
7. Breath Work – Get into the habit of taking a deep breath through the nose. Hold it for the count of 4 and then exhale through the mouth to the count of 5. You’ll immediately feel more relaxed. Do this a number of times per day.
8. Hypnosis- Invest in a hypnosis session to go into a deep state of relaxation. Your subconscious mind will be able to quickly recreate the feeling of this relaxed state wherever you are and whatever is happening in your life.
Incorporating these techniques into your lifestyle will enable you to move out of the mentality of the Type E woman, a woman who is everything to everyone, and live a more tranquil and peaceful existence. This is your natural state, so I urge you to make a commitment to kick your stress level to the curb and become that serene woman you were created to be.
If you need any assistance in learning in-depth stress management techniques don’t hesitate to contact me for additional support.